Quickfire King eyes up a big year ahead

Jordan King
Jordan King
0
Have your say

JORDAN King is keen to move forward this year before taking “a big step-up” in 2016.

King needed only 50 seconds to record the fifth win of his professional career when he stopped Iain Jackson at the Metro Radio Arena on Saturday night.

The Hetton light-heavy had been due to face Jamie Ambler at the major Newcastle event, only for the Welshman to pull out this week.

Jackson stepped in as a late sub and probably wished he had stayed in Brighton.

He was game from the opening bell but was too open and when King landed a stunning right, down went the 36-year-old.

Referee Andrew Wright reached five before ending the bout which had been scheduled for four rounds.

After prompt medical attention and a blast of oxygen,Jackson recovered relatively quickly and left the ring unaided.

“It was a good punch, I caught him exactly right,” said King.

“I had a game-plan and I was happy to take my time but the shot was there and I took it.

“My coach is happy, he wants me to see me tighten my guard, and there are a few other things to work on but we have plenty of time.

“That’s two wins this year so I’m pleased with how it’s going.

“I’d like to step it up a bit this year but then have a big step up next year.

“I’m only 22, I’m young and learning, but next year I hope titles might be on the cards.”

It was a dynamic show from the local prospect who was cheered on by 200 fans.

“I’d like to thank the people for coming out to support me,” he told the Echo. “Given it was the Tyne-Wear derby this weekend those were good numbers.”

Meanwhile, South Shields’ Anthony Nelson has moved into the big time – and says he can become even better.

Over his last four bouts, the 29-year-old has gone from Northern Area champ, to English super-flyweight king and now the 8st 3lb ruler of the Commonwealth.

Nelson overcame spirited Scot Jamie Wilson at the Metro Radio Arena with his rival retiring after six of the scheduled 12 rounds.

“Babyface” loved being part of the major televised promotion and he is likely to feature in September when Matchroom plan to return to Newcastle.

“I’m more than happy to oblige and we’ll get a few more people here next time,” Nelson said.

“It was a massive occasion, I’ve never boxed on a huge show like this, the crowd, Sky, all their cameras, it’s all brand new to me.

“It was an experience in itself, but I loved it.”

A maiden Commonwealth defence would be plausible and a further success would boost his world ranking and possibly lead to a challenge for a global prize.

“I’ve only had 10 fights, I’m still quite fresh, still learning, still building my experience,” he said. “That was a massive win for me and now I expect some top fights now.

“It means I will work harder, put more hours in at the gym and totally dedicate myself to the sport.

“We started at the bottom and worked our way up, we keep moving up in steps and that’s what we’ll keep trying to do.”