Sign comes down at historic Sunderland pub as owners change name

3
Have your say

The sign is coming down at a landmark Sunderland pub as owners change its name as part of a massive overhaul.

The Londonderry in High Street West is to reopen at the end of May as The Peacock - the name of the former 18th Century coaching inn which once stood on the site.

Sign coming down at The Londonderry as it prepares to become The Peacock. Picture by Gaz Mackie

Sign coming down at The Londonderry as it prepares to become The Peacock. Picture by Gaz Mackie

The pub was rebuilt as The Londonderry in 1901, and has now been taken over by The Mac Trust, which is carrying out a renovation and restoration project as part of its plans to create a buzzing cultural quarter in that area of the city centre.

Echo reader Gaz Mackie snapped the workers bringing down the sign as the old makes way for the new.

Read more: Londonderry pub to reopen as The Peacock