A Seaham teenager died at a music festival because of the effects of an illegal Class A drug, an inquest heard.
The inquest was opened today into the death of 17-year-old Megan Bell.
Megan, of Hazel Dene Way, died at the T in the Park music event in Scotland on July 8.
A pathologist's report was read out as senior coroner Andrew Tweddle opened an inquest into her death at Crook Civic Centre this morning.
It revealed she died from the adverse effects of methylenedioxymethylamphetamine (MDMA), which is commonly known as ecstasy.
Coroners' officer Susan Rooney told the hearing: "The cause of death was the adverse effects of methylenedioxymethylamphetamine."
Megan's father Chris said: "We know Megan wasn't a drug user.
"Was she caught up in the moment or was she spiked?
"I feel shocked that this has come out before anyone has told us.
"We should have been told.
"We want to know how this came about and we have so many questions about what happened."
The music festival is held at Strathallan Castle, in Strathallan, Perthshire, and authorities in Scotland are looking into the former St Anthony’s Catholic Girls’ Academy student's death.
Coroner Tweddle said: "Scottish authorities are making inquiries which will take approximately two months into the background of the death.
"I will review the case again on January 9, by which time we will hopefully have received some further information from the Scottish authorities."
Megan had been due to begin an apprenticeship as a hairdresser after returning from the event.