Dad of festival death teenager Megan Bell remains in dark over what happened

Megan Bell.

Megan Bell.

1
Have your say

The family of a popular teenager who died at a music festival say they are still the dark about what happened to her months on from the tragedy.

Monday will see an inquest opened into the death of 17-year-old Megan Bell after the former St Anthony’s Catholic Girls’ Academy student died at T in the Park in Scotland on Friday, July 8.

A vigil and balloon release held in tribute to Megan Bell.

A vigil and balloon release held in tribute to Megan Bell.

Megan, from Seaham, had been due to begin her apprenticeship as a hairdresser on her return.

What would have been her first day became her funeral service, which saw St Mary Magdalen’s Church in her home town packed out with hundreds of mourners.

Monday’s hearing, at the coroner’s office in Crook, is likely to be adjourned as inquiries continue into what happened to her.

Months on from her death, her loved ones still feel as though they are waiting for answers from the authorities.

All her friends and family want to keep Megan’s memory alive and the people of Seaham continue to offer their love and support

Chris Bell

Megan’s grandfather Eddie, who alongside wife Jenny is a town and county councillor and is mayor of Durham, was notified of Monday’s hearing by a coroner’s officer.

That followed an initial letter to Chris weeks after Megan’s death saying inquiries would be carried out by the office of County Durham coroner Andrew Tweddle.

However, Chris, who works as a car transporter driver and is also dad to Josh, Maddy and Jenny with partner Lisa Dickinson, says he has had no other contact from the authorities.

He said: “We’ve heard nothing at all.

The photo of Megan Bell, 17, from Seaham, on the order of service for her funeral.

The photo of Megan Bell, 17, from Seaham, on the order of service for her funeral.

“We’ve heard no new information and, of course, we still need to know what happened to her.

“We just feel totally in the dark.”

Megan’s family say she did not use drugs and have been told by some she died in a tent, while others said she had been taken to hospital.

She and friends had enjoyed their first visit to the festival a year earlier, but some in her party had called home upset about the disorder they had seen when at this year’s event.

Since Megan’s death, the community in Seaham has rallied round to offer their support to the Bells.

A candle light vigil and balloon release was held on the cliff tops days after the tragedy - one of three linked to the festival - while a series of fundraisers have been held in her name.

These have included an entertainment night, football match and family funday.

“All her friends and family want to keep Megan’s memory alive and the people of Seaham continue to offer their love and support,” added Chris.

Chris has also launched a petition calling for the age of admission to festivals to be raised to 21 unless accompanied by an adult, with the dad raising concerns about the violence, drinking and drugs young people have been exposed to at such events.

More than 1,290 people have already added their names to it.

The petition can be signed via http://chn.ge/2aJNQZO.