Women flee after heater sparks fire

0
Have your say

TWO women had a lucky escape when a faulty halogen heater in their flat caught fire.

The incident happened at a flat in Beatrice House, Albert Court, just off Durham Road, near Sunderland city centre.

A total of 13 firefighters from Sunderland East, Central and North stations rushed to the scene.

Officers wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel to put out the fire.

The heater was destroyed by the blaze.

One square-metre of flooring was damaged by heat and the hallway of the flat was damaged by smoke.

Watch manager Jeff Simpson, of Sunderland East fire station, said: “The two women managed to escape and called straight away about the fire.”

No-one was injured in the incident, which happened shortly after 6.30pm on Saturday.