DCSIMG

Woman in hospital after clothes caught fire

A WOMAN is in hospital after suffering burns to her chest and abdomen when her clothing caught fire.

Firefighters from Peterlee and Seaham found the 64-year-old collapsed on the living room floor of her home in Greencroft, South Hetton, at 10.45am on Saturday.

The officers, who did not need to put out any blaze, gave her first aid before paramedics took her to the James Cook Hospital in Middlesbrough.

The woman has since been transferred to the specialist burns unit at Newcastle’s Royal Victoria Infirmary, where she is said to be comfortable. Fire investigators say initial inquiries have found her clothing had been ignited, possibly by smoking materials.

County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service (CDDFRS) has said she has previously been identified as being at risk, with the portable mist suppression system in her home credited with helping to put out the fire.

CDDFS area manager Andy Hopkinson said: “Clearly our thoughts are with the occupier and her family at this time, and we wish her a speedy recovery from her injuries.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page

 

X scottish independence image

Keep up-to-date with all the latest Referendum news