Woman dies after being hit by Northern Rail train on Newcastle to Sunderland line

A Northern Rail train
A Northern Rail train
Have your say

A woman has died after being hit by a train on the Newcastle to Sunderland line.

Police and paramedics were called out last night after reports that a person had been hit by a Northern Rail train just after 7pm.

They found a body of a woman. She has not yet been identified.

British Transport Police said the coroner has been informed, but the death is not being treated as suspicious.

A spokesman for the force said: “At about 7.03pm on Sunday September 20, officers from British Transport Police and the Ambulance service responded to a report of a female having been struck by the a train near to the Gateshead Stadium Metro Station,” a spokesman for the force said.

“Upon arrival at the scene the officers found the body of a female. This matter is being investigated but is not being treated as suspicious.

“Details of the females identity is not being released at this stage. The coroner has been informed.

“Anyone with information is urged to ring British Transport Police free on 0800 40 50 40 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.”

The incident happened on the main rail line, causing delays and disruption for train passengers.

Northern Rail runs services between Carlisle and Middlesbrough, which also pass through Newcastle, Sunderland and the MetroCentre.

The train company said its 6.50pm MetroCentre to Middlesbrough service had terminated at Newcastle, while the 8pm Newcastle to Middlesbrough train was cancelled due to the emergency services’ activity.

A Northern Rail spokesman said: “One of our trains struck a lady around Gateshead Stadium. Police were called and declared the incident non suspicious.

“We had the line back within an hour and trains returned to normal.

“There were about 30 passengers on the train involved.

“And we have systems in place so that the driver of the train would not have had to take it forward after this.”

A spokesman for Tyne and Wear Metro owner Nexus said all services had continued running but there had been some delays.

He said: “The information we have got from Metro control is that someone was hit by a main line train.

“It caused slight delays to Metro services, but Metros were still running.”