HEADS will be bowed as Remembrance Day services take place across Wearside and East Durham tomorrow.
Thousands are expected to line the streets of Sunderland for the biggest parade and service outside London.
The annual Service of Remembrance and wreath laying culminates in a march past of veterans and serving members of Her Majesty’s Forces.
Members of the public who wish to pay their respects to all those who died in past and present conflicts are welcome to attend.
They are advised to dress warmly and to be in place at the Burdon Road war memorial by 10.15am.
Other services and parades across the area tomorrow include:
* Castletown – A parade will start at 10am, leaving from Castletown Community Centre via the Castletown Methodist Church, then on to Castletown Cemetery.
* Ryhope – An Armistice Service will take place in St Paul’s Church at 10am. It will end with a parade and an Act of Remembrance at the village war memorial at 11am.
* Washington – A parade will take place through Washington Village at about 10.30am. It will be followed by a service and presentations at the cenotaph.
* Houghton – Parade participants are asked to assemble on the road opposite the Co-op car park at 9am, ready to march off at 9.30am. The parade will be led by Houghton Brass Band for the service in St Michael and All Angels’ Parish Church at 10am. A representative of the Lord Lieutenant is expected at the salute. At the end of the service the organisations and community groups will lay their poppy wreaths at the cenotaph in time for the traditional silence at 11am.
* Hetton – A service will take place at 10am in the Independent Methodist Church, Easington Lane, followed by a parade at 10.40am to the clock tower memorial for the laying of wreaths, concluding at 11.15am with a return to the church for tea or coffee.
* Cleadon – Remembrance services will be held at All Saints’ Church and Cleadon Methodist Church after normal Sunday services. An act of remembrance will be held at the war memorial in Front Street at 11am, when the Westoe Brass Band will perform.
* Murton – The Remembrance Sunday parade will leave the ex-Servicemen’s Club at 10.30am for worship and remembrance at the cenotaph. At 6pm worship will be held at Holy Trinity. St Paul’s Church is holding a service at 10.30am.
* Seaham – An open-air service will take place in Terrace Green at 10.45am.
* Durham City – A service will be held at Durham Cathedral, Palace Green, from 10.15am to noon