Washington bus destroyed in electrical fire

editorial image
0
Have your say

A DRIVER and a passenger had to escape through a bus’s back door after a fault caused it to catch fire.

The service was on the A182 Washington Highway when the single decker caught light at 5.50pm today.

Firefighters from Washington and Birtley found the blaze had already taken a strong hold when they arrived.

Officers wearing breathing apparatus used hose reels to put out the fire, which along with smoke and heat has left the vehicle a wreck.

The driver and the only passenger on board at the time of the fire were uninjured in the fire and managed to leave the bus by the rear exit.

The fire is thought to have been caused by an electrical fault.