Three teens have lucky escape after throwing water on chip pan fire in Hendon

Fire and Rescue.
Fire and Rescue.
0
Have your say

Three teenagers had a lucky escape when a chip pan caught fire whilst cooking.

Firefighters were called to a house in Nicholson Close, Hendon, Sunderland, at 10.15pm, yesterday.

Three teenagers had been cooking when a chip pan they were using caught fire.

The flames were made worse after one of the girls tried to put it out by throwing water on to the buring pan.

Luckily the teenager wasn’t hurt. The rio left the house and called the fire brigade.

The kitchen suffered smoke and fire damage.

Watchmanager Alan Pattinson from Sunderland Central said: “The girl was lucky she wasn’t injured. Throwing water onto a chip pan fire is the worst thing you can do.

“If there is a chip pan fire the best thing you can do is throw a damp cloths over the top of it, but if you don’t feel confident enough to do that or the flames are too big, close the door, leave the property and call for the fire brigade. Even better get rid of your chip pan and use a deep fat fryer instead.”