Teenager accused of rape, kidnap and sexual assault to spend Christmas in custody

Police were called to reports of a woman being raped on Metamba Terrace in Sunderland in the early hours of Sunday morning.
Police were called to reports of a woman being raped on Metamba Terrace in Sunderland in the early hours of Sunday morning.
0
Have your say

A teenager accused of raping a woman and sexually assaulting another in two early hours street attacks in Sunderland has been remanded in custody until the new year.

The 17-year-old male, who cannot be named for legal reasons, is charged with rape, sexual assault and kidnapping in connection with the two alleged incidents.

He was remanded in custody until a hearing at South Tyneside Magistrates Court today in front of district judge Roger Elsey, who decided all matters should be sent to Newcastle Crown Court.

The youth also faces a further two charges of common assault against two men said to have come to the aid of the alleged rape victim.

The teenager appeared at the court via video link from prison.

He is yet to enter pleas in regards to the string of charges.

Police were called to reports of a rape in an alley close to St Marks Church, in Matamba Terrace, Sunderland, at 3.30am on Sunday.

The court heard a woman had earlier been sexually assaulted by a man in Hylton Road, Sunderland, at about 3am.

James Long, prosecuting, said the offences were so serious that, if proven, would carry a custodial sentence with a starting point of six years.

Kate Meek, defending, made no application for bail.

District Judge Roger Elsey allocated the case to Newcastle Crown Crown Court for an initial hearing on January 7.

The defendant was remanded in custody until then.

District Judge Elsey said; "This case is too serious to be dealt with at the youth court and I will allocate it to Newcastle Crown Court."