Sunderland swingers’ club closed due to serious fire safety breaches

0
Have your say

A swingers’ club was closed because of serious breaches in fire safety, authorities have said.

The Echo reported in April that Vivente, in Hendon, was ordered to shut because of concerns from Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service.

Swingers' club Vivente in Hudson Road, Hendon.

Swingers' club Vivente in Hudson Road, Hendon.

Now, fire bosses have given more detail about the decision to close the Hudson Road site.

A spokesman for the brigade said: “Following an inspection of the premises by fire safety officers from Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service, a Prohibition Notice was served on the occupier on April 24 due to breaches of fire safety legislation.

“Under the terms of the notice, all areas of the premises must not be used, with the exception of the ground floor reception area, that may only be used for administration purposes.

“The premises are part of an ongoing investigation.”

I would like to see it permanently closed, absolutely.

Councillor Barbara McClennan

“Swinging” is the term used for those who swap sexual partners.

When open, Vivente, which has a dungeon area for members to use, operates on Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays.

Describing the venue, those running it wrote on the website: “Situated in Sunderland city centre, just a five-minute walk from our vibrant night life, entertainment and fantastic restaurants.

“Our building is very unassuming from the outside (just how we like it), there is ample parking and our entrance is very discreet.

“We have the added bonus of not being located in a residential area.”

Hendon councillor Barbara McClennan says she has always been against the existence of the club, with it being near a church and primary school.

“I would like to see it permanently closed, absolutely,” said Coun McClennan.

“If you think of the kind of activity that’s going on in that building, i.e. people taking part in sexual activity, it probably requires them to take their clothes off.

“Imagine what would happen if there was a fire, would they have time to re-robe and get out safely?

“That has always been one of my major concerns for the venue.

“I would have thought they need to be extra careful in terms of fire precautions.”

A note on Vivente’s website reads: “Due to building works Vivente will be closed until further notice.

“We apologise for this interruption while we improved your club.”