Sunderland scrapyard blaze ‘was an accident’

Firefighters putting out the blaze at Ward Bros (Steel) Ltd in Sheepfolds Industrial Estate near the Stadium of Light
Firefighters putting out the blaze at Ward Bros (Steel) Ltd in Sheepfolds Industrial Estate near the Stadium of Light
0
Have your say

A blaze which ripped through a Sunderland scrapyard was accidental, fire brigade bosses have said.

Investigators are still trying to determine exactly what sparked the blaze at Ward Bros Ltd in Sheepfolds Industrial Estate, just a few hundred yards from the Stadium of Light.

Photo by Bethany Ellis.

Photo by Bethany Ellis.

More than 20 firefighters from Sunderland Central, North Moor, Washington and Fulwell attended the scene shortly before midday on Wednesday.

They spent two-and-a-half hours tackling the flames.

Traffic was closed on the road outside the yard, with many people passing on cars or on foot with Sunderland University graduation ceremonies taking place at the stadium this week.

The extent of the damage has also been revealed.

The single-storey building within Ward Bros was destroyed, as well as its contents – a 1,500-litre diesel tank and a number of tyres.

No-one was injured in the incident.

Group manager responsible for Sunderland with Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service, Mark Gerrard, said that staff at the firm had raised the alarm quickly.

No-one from Ward Bros was available for comment when contacted by the Echo.