Sunderland mum’s baby food warning

Maria Maddison with her eight month old daughter Ella. Maria says she bought a jar of Cow & Gate baby food which was mouldy.
Maria Maddison with her eight month old daughter Ella. Maria says she bought a jar of Cow & Gate baby food which was mouldy.
0
Have your say

A CONCERNED mum has warned Wearside parents to check baby food after buying a damaged jar.

Maria Maddison, mum to six-month-old Ella, says she came close to feeding her daughter a jar of Cow & Gate baby food that had gone off.

The 20-year-old, who bought the Sunday Dinner jar from a city store, said: “I’ve bought the same brand before.

“When I got it home and opened it, the lid didn’t pop and it stank. But it wasn’t out of date.”

Maria called the customer care phone number given on the jar.

She said: “When I rang the helpline they laughed and said I could have the 54p back that I’d paid for it, but that was it, so I’ve sent it back to them.

“They didn’t even say sorry. It was just beyond a joke.”

Maria said she feels like an apology would have been more in order from the company and is urging other parents to double check their jars.

Maria said: “I would have liked them to apologise or offer me some free jars because I could have given that to my daughter.

“People just need to check and make sure that the seal hasn’t been broken and it’s not gone off.”

Sally Griffiths, head of quality and regulatory affairs at Cow & Gate said: “The jar that Ms Maddison sent back to us had lost its vacuum.

When any product loses its air -tight seal, it will start to go off.

“The safety button is there to show people if it has lost its vacuum.

“We check all safety buttons on every jar before they are dispatched. The product has been damaged after it has left the factory.

“Last week we sent out a letter to Ms Maddison with a £5 voucher for Cow & Gate.

“We recommend that everybody check the safety buttons before they buy a product,” added Ms Griffiths.

Twitter: @SunderlandEcho