STUDENTS across Sunderland are enjoying examination successes as they collect their results today.
The ‘Gold Standard’ of five or more GCSEs including English and mathematics has been achieved by 51 per cent of the students this year. Last year’s figure was also 51 per cent.
The figures for five or more A*-C GCSEs was 60 per cent, an increase from last year’s final figure of 59 per cent (both this year’s figures are provisional).
Councillor Pat Smith, Portfolio Holder for Children’s Services at Sunderland City Council, said: “Well done to all. There will be many exceptionally high grades out there and many individual successes.
“In recent years there have been national changes to the examination system and variability reported at some schools. In Sunderland we can continue to be pleased that GCSE and A level results overall are holding up and we are also seeing a longer -term trend of improvements in early years and primary schools.
“Congratulations to everyone - staff, parents and students - for their hard-work and dedication.”
GCSE results in Sunderland come from 19 schools. The centres/schools are:
• Academy 360
• Biddick Academy
• Castle View Enterprise Academy
• Farringdon Community Academy
• Grindon Hall Christian School
• Hetton School
• Kepier School
• Monkwearmouth Academy
• Oxclose Community Academy
• St Aidan’s Catholic Academy
• St Anthony’s Catholic Girls’ Academy
• St Robert of Newminster Roman Catholic School
• Sandhill View School
• Southmoor Community School, Mathematics and Computing College
• Thornhill School Business & Enterprise College
• Venerable Bede E Academy
• Washington School
• Springwell Dene