Sunderland firefighters fight flames twice at same flat

0
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS were forced to return to a flat just hours after tackling a fire there.

At about 3am today, crews were called to Hudson Road, Hendon, after a resident set fire to his mattress and hurled it out of his window.

The blazing mattress caused the bay window of the ground floor flat to catchlight.

An hour later, firefighters returned to the flat after reports that the bay window was on fire again.

They had to rescue a man that was inside. He was taken to Sunderland Royal Hospital with breathing problems.

Police are investigating.