St Cuthbert’s banner paraded through Durham

The new Banner of St Cuthbert on the procession from Durham Market Place to the Cathedral. The Northumbrian Association had the banner made to replace the one destroyed during the Reformation.
The new Banner of St Cuthbert on the procession from Durham Market Place to the Cathedral. The Northumbrian Association had the banner made to replace the one destroyed during the Reformation.
0
Have your say

A HISTORIC banner brought back to life by a Sunderland seamstress has been paraded through the streets of Durham City.

Durham Cathedral received a recreated version of the St Cuthbert’s Banner yesterday after a grand procession up the Bailey.

The new Banner of St Cuthbert on the procession from Durham Market Place to the Cathedral. The Northumbrian Association had the banner made to replace the one destroyed during the Reformation.

The new Banner of St Cuthbert on the procession from Durham Market Place to the Cathedral. The Northumbrian Association had the banner made to replace the one destroyed during the Reformation.

The regional symbol was destroyed during the Reformation in the 16th century but was reproduced by embroider Ruth O’Leary who spent more than 800 hours crafting the banner.

The new version is based on the ancient Cuthbert banner that used to hang in the south quire aisle at the cathedral.

John Cuthbert, former managing director of Northumbrian Water and honorary president of the Northumbrian Association, led the procession.

St Cuthbert is the patron saint of Northumberland. His banner became an emblem of the region and was carried into the 1346 Battle of Neville’s Cross.