A GRANDAD today relived his Spanish nightmare as a warning to fellow holidaymakers.
Thomas Cubby was temporarily paralysed after his drink was spiked while on his sunshine break.
Then the Millfield 64-year-old was stung with a £1,300 medical bill for his troubles.
Former Navy Police officer Thomas was with wife Edith in the Spanish resort of Benalmadena when he says he was targeted.
The Wearsiders were having a last drink of the night with friends in a bar when they decided to go back to their apartment.
As they arrived back, Mr Cubby began to feel unwell and when he went to lie down on his bed, he could not get back up.
He strongly believes he had one of his drinks spiked by a fellow drinker.
“I was totally paralysed. I couldn’t move or even speak,” said Thomas, who is dad to Tracy, 43, and Barry, 37.
“My wife called for an ambulance and the drivers took me to a private hospital. We had to put a 600 euro deposit down for a one-night stay.
“And there was another £872 bill waiting on the doormat when we got back home. It’s come to a £1,350.06 bill.
“I paid it straightaway because I don’t like to be in debt.”
Thomas, who also worked for energy company EDF before retirement, now says he wants other holidaymakers to be aware if they do become ill abroad that they should go to a public hospital and not a private facility.
“If this happens to anyone else, demand to be taken to the local clinic and not a private place,” added the grandfather-of-two.
“I just want people in Sunderland and the rest of the country to know about this.
“People should be very vigilant in my opinion.
“I’ve heard about ambulance drivers abroad making deals with some of the hospitals to drive patients there.”
Thomas is looking to claim back the money he has paid through his own personal holiday insurance, but admits he is not hopeful.
“I’m going to have a look into it, but I don’t think I’ll get the money,” he added.