DCSIMG

Shower catches fire as girl washes at Sunderland home

editorial image

editorial image

A TEENAGER narrowly escaped injury after the electric shower she was using to wash her hair caught fire.

The 16-year-old was in the bathroom of the caretaker’s home of Castletown Community Primary School in Grange Road, Castletown, when the fire broke out at 12.40pm today.

Firefighters say she fled the room and alerted her 52-year-old dad, who closed the door to prevent the fire spreading.

The shower was destroyed in the blaze, with nearby rooms affected by smoke.

Crews from Washington and Sunderland Central Fire Stations tackled the blaze, clearing the fumes with a fan once it was out.

They also fitted a new smoke alarm to the detached house, as the battery in one already installed had gone flat.

Neither the girl or her father needed hospital treatment.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page