Seventh-floor fire drama after chip pan blaze

editorial image
0
Have your say

AN UNATTENDED chip pan caused a blaze which damaged the kitchen of a flat in Sunderland early on Monday morning.

Sixteen firefighters from Farringdon and Sunderland city centre stations were called to the fire on the seventh floor of a 16-storey block in Gilley Law, shortly before 12.30am.

Crew manager Steve Wilson, from Farringdon, said the man who lived in the flat had managed to tackle the blaze on his own before the fire service arrived and it could have been much worse.

“He put the pan on and then got distracted, but he managed to extinguish the fire by himself before we got there, using a tea towel,” said crew manager Wilson.

“He has been very, very lucky.”