Pregnant Sunderland woman taken to hospital after house fire

editorial image
0
Have your say

A HEAVILY pregnant woman was taken to hospital after a fire broke out in a Sunderland house.

The woman and her partner, who are in their 20s, were asleep in bed when their kitchen caught fire in the early hours of this morning.

They were woken by their smoke alarms and managed to get out of the house, in Skipsea View, Ryhope, before the fire brigade arrived.

The woman, who is eight months pregnant, was taken to hospital as a precaution. Her partner was uninjured.

Two fire engines from Farringdon fire station responded to the call at 12.20am and spent 20 minutes putting out the blaze.

Crew manager Ron Monaghan said there was extensive damage to the kitchen and that the fire is under investigation.

Mr Monaghan said he believed the smoke alarms may have been fitted by Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service, as they were of the type they use.

“It just emphasises the importance of having working smoke alarms,” he added.