Praise for quick-thinking schoolgirl who spotted fire at Asda

Lucy-Jo Armstrong saw smoke in the ceiling above the pizza department in Asda, Boldon, and alerted a member of staff. She is pictured with mother Gemma Fawcett.
Lucy-Jo Armstrong saw smoke in the ceiling above the pizza department in Asda, Boldon, and alerted a member of staff. She is pictured with mother Gemma Fawcett.
0
Have your say

A South Tyneside mum has told of her pride over the quick-thinking actions of her daughter who spotted a fire at a busy supermarket.

Gemma Fawcett and 10-year-old Lucy-Jo Armstrong were in the Asda store in Boldon when the youngster noticed flames coming from a light above the pizza department.

The Asda store at Bolcon Colliery, where Lucy-Jo spotted flames coming from a light.

The Asda store at Bolcon Colliery, where Lucy-Jo spotted flames coming from a light.

Remembering what she was told by firefighters who visited the Brownies group where she was once a member, she raised the alarm to her mam telling her to inform a member of staff.

Miss Fawcett, from Heaton Gardens, South Shields, said: “We were just shopping and Lucy was looking around. She was so calm when she pointed out the flames, which looked as though they were dripping down the light.

“We told a member of staff, then the alarms sounded and everyone was asked to leave the store.”

She added: “The fire brigade were really quick on site. I am just so proud of Lucy and how calm she was throughout it all.”

Firefighters were called to the store in New Road, Boldon Colliery, at 4.30pm on Monday.

Three crews attended, where it was discovered an electrical fault had caused a light fitting to catch fire.

Lucy, who attends St Oswald’s RC Primary School in Whiteleas, said: “I saw flames coming from the lights.

“I used to go to the Brownies, and the fire people came in and told us what to do if we ever saw a fire.

“You had to stay calm and tell someone. I remembered what they told me and told my mam.

“I wasn’t scared I just stayed calm and my mam went and told a man who worked at Asda.”

The light was damaged by the fire, which had been extinguished before firefighters arrived.

A thermal imaging camera was used by crews to check the flames had not spread further.