Portable heater sparks blaze in Sunderland home

editorial image
0
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS were called to a Sunderland home after a portable heater caught on fire.

A crew from Sunderland Central station attended Hurstwood Road, in Barnes, just after 6pm today after reports of a blaze.

Occupants managed to get the heater out of the property. There was little damage and no one was injured.

Crew manager Jez Hilton said: “The residents were using a portable heater which started to over-heat.

“They managed to get out of the house and remove the heater to the back yard. The house was quite smoke-logged but there wasn’t much damage.

“We would advise anyone using a portable heater to never leave it unattended. If you leave the room turn it off and you can always turn it back on when you’re back in the room.”