A FIRE officer has praised equipment which helped to save a pensioner’s life after she lit her clothes on fire while smoking.
A mist sprinkler system installed in the sheltered housing at Greencroft, South Hetton, helped to douse flames caused by a cigarette, or faulty lighter, after a 64-year-old woman set herself alight just before 10.45am on Saturday.
County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service group manager, Steve Wharton, said: “The sprinkler system helps to save lives.
“They are designed to knock a fire back, so that environment will be liveable until the fire service arrives.”
The pensioner, who received serious injuries, including burns to her torso, was taken to the RVI hospital and is said to be in a comfortable condition.