Nursing home staff praised by firefighters for preventing serious incident

editorial image
0
Have your say

A QUICK thinking member of staff has been praised for his actions in extinguishing a fire which broke out in a Sunderland care home.

The fire services was alerted after an extractor fan in a communal toilet caught alight at The Croft, in High Barnes.

Two fire engines from Farringdon were called to the scene in Ettrick Grove at 8pm on Thursday, where a phased evacuation of the 31 residents was taking place.

Now the male staff member who grabbed a fire extinguisher to put out the blaze on the groundfloor of the home has been praised by firefighters.

“A member of staff noticed smoke coming from under the door of the toilet,” watch manager Ron Monaghan told the Echo.

“When he opened the door the smoke set the alarm off. Another member of staff went in and extinguished the fire before it got any worse. His actions prevented a more serious fire from occurring.

“We cut away some of the wall and removed some plastic piping behind the cavity wall and used a thermal imaging camera to check for hot spots.

“Everybody was fine. The gentleman who extinguished the fire was checked over by paramedics as a precaution.

“It had the potential to be much worse but his quick actions have prevented something more serious.”