FALLING debris from a damaged chimney could seriously injure someone, it was claimed today.
The pavement outside the house next door to Lucy and Donald Taylor’s Seaham home, which has stood empty for two years, has been cordoned off by Durham County Council.
The move came after the couple found pieces of the damaged chimney stack in their Embleton Street garden two weeks ago.
But Mrs Taylor said chunks are continuing to fall off at the front of the house.
“There’s nothing to stop these bits of brick landing outside the cordon,” she said.
“They could have hit my husband’s head, my head or one of my grandchildren’s heads.”
The 64-year-old is also worried at what feels is a lack of urgency from the county council’s Building Control Services.
“They said they have found the landlord responsible and will write to him when they get time,” she claimed.
The threat of structural damage to their own home is also concerning the Taylors.
Mrs Taylor said she can often hear pieces falling down the chimney.
She added: “If it goes, it’s going to pull mine out and I’ve got three TV aerials up there too.
“Will it fall through my roof? I don’t know.”
East Area building control services officer Colin Coates said: “We are aware of the situation and have cordoned off the property to protect the public.
“We have to give the landlord an opportunity to repair (the chimney).
“If we went in to do it, it would be in default of the people responsible doing it.”
Mr Coates said adjustments necessary to protect the public would be made.
“We’ll have another look at it and see how it is doing.
“We will see if any debris has fallen outside the cordon and widen it if necessary.”