Man taken to hospital after chip pan sets fire to Washington home’s kitchen

editorial image
0
Have your say

A CHIP pan left on the hob sparked a blaze which left a man in need of hospital treatment.

Eight firefighters from Washington were called to Biddick Terrace in Columbia, Washington, after the pan set light to the kitchen when he was left unattended.

The crew arrived to find the people who had been in the two-storey house already outside, with the man given oxygen by the firefighters before paramedics arrived and took him to Sunderland Royal suffering from the affects of smoke inhalation.

The blaze left the cooker, counter and an extractor fan damaged, with minor smoke damage caused to the ground floor.

A fan was used to clear the house of fumes but officers wearing breathing apparatus were not needed to put out the flames, after the pan was removed from the heat.

The incident happened just before 1am today.