A MAN had a lucky escape when he was rescued from his burning Wearside home.
Fire crews were called to a house in Sunderland’s Barleycorn Place at 3.20am on Monday when neighbours heard cries coming from the three-storey terraced home.
Crews from the city centre and Farringdon fire stations forced entry to the property and led the man to safety.
Earlier in the morning crews from Durham fire station were also called to rescue a woman from her burning flat in Belmont.
The Sunderland man was given first aid and oxygen by the firefighters while waiting for the ambulance to arrive and he was then taken to Sunderland Royal Hospital suffering from smoke inhilation.
Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the fire, which started in the living room of the property on the first floor.
The living room was completely gutted by the flames and the rest of the second floor was 75 per cent damaged by flames and smoke and the third floor of the house was 50 per cent smoke damaged.
Firefighters plan to visit homes in the vacinity of Barleycorn Place to offer smoke alarms to residents who might not already have them.
Crews in Durham were called to Cheveley Park, Belmont at 12.28am on Monday following reports of a flat on fire.
A woman was rescued from the small living room blaze and taken to University of North Durham Hospital suffering from smoke inhilation.