Man helped from Sunderland home after chip pan blaze wrecks kitchen

Redcar Road in Red House. Copyright Google Maps.

Redcar Road in Red House. Copyright Google Maps.

2
Have your say

Firefighters carried a man free from his burning home after a pan of oil left on the cooker caught light.

A crew from Sunderland Central fire station were called to Redcar Road in Red House at 1.05am today after the fire was reported.

Officers helped the man from his home and gave him first aid for smoke inhalation, with paramedics then checking him over at the scene, but he was not taken to hospital.

Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus put out the fire using hoses, with a fan used to clear the house of smoke.

The kitchen was destroyed by the heat, with other areas of the home left damaged by the fumes.