Man flees chip pan fire in flat

0
Have your say

A MAN had a lucky escape when his chip pan caught fire.

The incident happened at a first-floor flat in Burnville Road, Eden Vale, Sunderland.

Nine officers from Sunderland north and west stations were called to tackle the blazing home.

The chip pan and cooker were destroyed by the fire, with the hallway of the property damaged by smoke.

The occupier managed to restrict the fire by placing a damp towel over the chip pan.

Officers used a water bag as well as positive pressure ventilation to reduce the smoke inside the flat before removing the chip pan.

The man needed oxygen treatment after the blaze.

The fire happened at about noon yesterday.