FIRE ripped through a house while two people slept downstairs.
It was lucky no one was injured by the blaze, which caused serious damage to a bedroom and the roof of the two-storey property in Gleneagles Road, Grindon.
Firefighters were called to the house shortly before 6am yesterday.
Neighbours today spoke of their shock at the incident.
One woman, who lives nearby, complained of disturbances hours before.
“We’d had a bad night and called the police because of the noise,” she said.
“Then at about 5.20am I woke up to hear the fire.
“I could see the smoke coming from their house when I looked out of my bedroom window.
“Then we just all got out into the street.
“We saw a man who carried a woman out of the house.”
Another resident said: “The first I knew about it was when the fire brigade arrived.
“I looked out the window and there was a lot of smoke coming from the roof. The bedroom looked completely burnt out.
“There seemed to be quite a few firefighters out. They weren’t taking any chances.”
Another added: “I was sound asleep when I heard the sirens outside.
“There was a lot of activity and the police were there for quite a long time.”
It is believed that a man and woman who live in the house were downstairs asleep at the time of the incident.
A spokeswoman for Northumbria Police said fire investigators have established the fire was not started maliciously.
“At 5.50am police received information about a fire at a house in Gleneagles Road,” she said.
“No one was injured.”
A spokesman for Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service said: “Two appliances from Sunderland Central and one from Sunderland East attended the scene.
“The fire was in one of the bedrooms.”
Anyone with any information should contact Northumbria Police on 03456 043 043 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.