A CENTENARIAN had to be rescued by firefighters after he was trapped in his home this afternoon.
The 100-year-old man was pinned to the floor of his flat in Ashbrooke, Sunderland, by a cabinet.
A fire crew from Sunderland Central station were called to the ground-floor flat at 2pm by paramedics, who were unable to get in.
Firefighters managed to force open a window to lift the fallen cabinet off the man the man, who is not thought to have been badly hurt in the ordeal.
He was given first aid by paramedics and taken to Sunderland Royal Hospital to be checked over.