Maggots found in tinned cat food

Emma Smith and her son Joshua at their home in Sherburn Hill with pet cats Bobby and Garfield.
Emma Smith and her son Joshua at their home in Sherburn Hill with pet cats Bobby and Garfield.
3
Have your say

A PET owner’s cats were poisoned before their owner found maggots in a tin of food.

Bobby and Garfield, both belonging to 31-year-old Emma Smith, were diagnosed as suffering from food poisoning by a vet and have have since recovered.

Tesco, which sold the food under its own Premium Cat Cuts brand, apologised to Emma and sent her £20 as a goodwill gesture.

“The tins came in a pack of six,” said Emma, of Sherburn Hill, near Durham City. “I used the first three, and they looked and seemed fine.

“Both cats became ill with the runs, and when I opened the fourth tin I saw it had maggots in it.

“The food in the fifth tin was watery and had little white things in it, so I think that was going the same way.

“I didn’t open the last tin, but took it back to Tesco at Dragonville for them to look at.”

Emma took Bobby and Garfield to a vet who advised worming them as a precaution.

“That cost £15.40,” said Emma. “The vet was also talking about antibiotics which for two cats could have been £100 or more.

“I am a single parent and only work part-time, so I can’t afford that treatment.”

Tesco customer services manager Kit Gallagher said: “It is likely the can which had maggots in it was damaged, which allowed air in.

“Insects are attracted to the area and may lay eggs. This would only have an effect on individual cans and not the whole batch.

“I have have been unable to find any lapse in our systems.”