Washington chippie hopes to become top cod in fish shop awards
A CHIPPIE is hoping to batter the opposition to be named as the best in Britain.
Redz, in Barmston, Washington, is no small fry in the world of cod and chips – it’s already in fifth “plaice” in the competition.
Frying fanatic George Redford is at the helm of the family-run business in Westerhope Road, with wife Wendy and daughter Brooke.
The trio are no strangers to being the best – they won the title of Best Independent Chip Shop in 2010 when they were based in Newton Aycliffe, County Durham.
After moving to Washington last year, they are hoping to repeat their success in the awards which are running as part of Chip Week from February 18 to 24.
George said: “We’re fifth already in the online vote so we’re hoping to take the overall title again. The key to good fish and chips is that we only use the best Icelandic cod from the clear waters of Iceland and the best potatoes.
“We are dedicated to good, traditional fish and chips. We don’t sell pizzas and kebabs.”
l To vote online go to http://chips.lovepotatoes.co.uk/
- Boss Di Canio wants six new men for Sunderland
- Bus crashes into Sunderland JobCentre
- Pool pervert used shoe mirror to spy on woman changing in Sunderland Aquatic Centre
- Survival assured, Sunderland boss can plan future
- ‘You can’t live a lie and spend your life feeling sad’ – transgender modelling competition finalist tells all
- DOBSON MARKS START OF HEALTH C
- Di Canio: Sunderland players will get a shorter summer break if they don’t perform well at Tottenham
- Last post is 6.30pm (but get here by 5.30pm)
- TV chef Martin Blunos takes over the kitchen at Seaham Hall
- Sunderland museums and arts centres lose out as donations head to London
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Sunderland
Sunday 19 May 2013
Temperature: 9 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 9 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North