DCSIMG

VIDEO: Souter Lighthouse shines once more

Waiting for Video...
 

THE historic lamp of Souter Lighthouse lit the night sky once more tonight.

The landmark red-and-white-hooped building opened its doors after hours and switched on its famous light as part of the Museums at Night programme.

The lighthouse – the first designed and built to be powered by electricity – was commissioned after a spate of shipwrecks between the Tyne and the Wear.

It began operation in 1871 and kept ships safe for more than 100 years, but the demise of coal mining led to a decrease in shipping, and thus the lighthouse was closed in 1988.

Now it is looked after and managed as a visitor attraction by the National Trust, which reopened the property in 1990.

The rare shining of the building’s light was also part of celebrations to celebrate 500 years of Trinity House, the organisation set up by Henry VIII charged with the safety of shipping and seafarers.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page