BORDER terrier Trixie has a wag in her tail after vets discovered a ball in her stomach – that she’d swallowed two years ago.
Owner Melanie Pounder, from High Barnes, was stumped as to why Trixie, who appeared fit and healthy, was being sick.
She took the 10-year-old pooch along to the PDSA pet hospital in Castletown, where they discovered a bouncy ball which had been lying in her stomach undetected.
Melanie, 42, had first taken Trixie to a private vet two years ago, after she swallowed a ball while playing in the garden.
As no trace of the ball was found and the dog wasn’t showing any symptoms of being ill, the vet assumed the ball had been passed.
More recently, Trixie began to be sick and an X-ray at the PDSA revealed the cause.
Emma Holt, PDSA vet, said: “Trixie was well in herself, but we knew that something wasn’t right.
“So we took an X-ray and spotted a small object in her abdomen, which looked suspicious. Exploratory surgery was carried out and we discovered it was a bouncy ball.
“I’ve seen a few strange cases during my time as a vet, but never something like this where a foreign body has just been hiding away for so long before causing a problem.”
Emma said Trixie was fortunate the ball had not moved to her intestines where it could have caused a fatal blockage.
She also warned that owners should take special care when selecting the size of balls for their dogs to play with, as ones that are too small can cause choking or swallowing.
Owner Melanie said: “When it turned out to be the ball, I couldn’t believe it – we just assumed Trixie had passed it through her system two years ago.
“To think it’s been there the whole time is just incredible. I’m so grateful to the PDSA for helping Trixie to get well again, as I love her to bits and we would be lost without her.
“I’m now very careful about which toys Trixie plays with and I make sure she only has ones that are too big to swallow.”
•For further pet health advice, visit www.pdsa.org.uk/pethealth