A BRUTAL murder, nuclear submarines and a shed full of flaming crisps were among the top stories in Sunderland this week:
1) Paedophile had sex with 14-year-old – after being spared jail for internet grooming
Readers were shocked by the tale of Mark Forster, who was spared jail for grooming a 12-year-old girl, but abused his freedom by having sex with a 14-year-old.
2) Elderly woman taken to hospital after car overturns
AN elderly woman was treated in hospital after her car overturned on the A182 road between Shiney Row and Herrington Burn.
3) Nuclear submarines to be based in Sunderland if Scotland wins independence
This year’s Sunderland Echo April Fool saw us claiming British nuclear submarines based in Scotland would be relocated to the Wear if the Scots voted for independence. We you fooled?
4) Jonty Hall murderer was kidnapped by men who drank their own vomit
The trial over the grim murder of Jonty Hall came to a conclusion this week. After the men were found guilty, evidence came out that killer Nicholas Rought had been kidnapped and taken to a Glasgow pub where men where drinking their own vomit.
5) Jonty Hall killers sentenced
Nicholas Rought and his co-accused Stuart Smith were given long jail sentences for the murder and manslaughter respectively.
The saddening story of Jonty Hall emerged after the court case had concluded.
Fire fighters had an unusual call out at the weekend when after 13 tonnes of crisps went up in flames at a farm shed. Who knew they were so flammable?
8) New £29million Sunderland College campus revealed for city centre regeneration site
News that a new college campus is planned for Holmeside brought with it hopes for regenerating a rundown area of the city centre – but not all readers were convinced it is the best use of the site.
Sunderland fans haven’t seen too much of January signing Nacho Scocco so far, but Gus Poyet told supporters he had faith the Argentinian would get up to speed with English football – though perhaps not until next season.
10) Jonty Hall’s body being driven away
Police released this troubling video believed to have been murder Rought’s car with the boot open, driving Jonty Hall’s body away to be dumped.