DCSIMG

Sunderland teenager died in tragic sunbed accident

editorial image

editorial image

A teenage dad-to-be who died after a tragic fall at his home “had the whole world in front of him”.

Grant Adams, originally from Pennywell, Sunderland, suffered horrific throat injuries after tripping and falling into a sunbed at his flat at 9am on Sunday.

One of the sunbed’s glass lighting tubes pierced his jugular, and the 17-year-old then fell down the stairs.

Family rushed to his aid to try to stem the flow of blood, and he was given emergency treatment by medics at the scene, in South Frederick Street, South Shields, before the Great North Air Ambulance took him to Newcastle’s Royal Victoria Infirmary, where he was placed in an induced coma.

But despite undergoing a five-hour operation, the apprentice bricklayer and keen boxer died in hospital on Monday evening – two weeks short of his 18th birthday.

The freak accident has left his family devastated, including his girlfriend Sharna Gardner, who is seven months pregnant with his daughter, for whom he had chosen the name Rhkiya.

Grant had successfully served an apprenticeship at Carillion Gateshead as a bricklayer, which ran from July 2012 until May of this year, where he impressed staff with his hard work and dedication.

Colin Burnicle, centre manager for Gateshead Carillion, said: “Everybody was really shocked and saddened. We can’t believe what has happened. He was really good at the job and a very nice lad. He had the whole world in front of him.

“The condolences of all of the staff and all of our apprentices go out to his family.

“It is a terrible thing to happen.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page