DCSIMG

Sunderland mum found daughter hanging from window blind cord

Sophie Allen with brother Jayden and little sister Amelia.

Sophie Allen with brother Jayden and little sister Amelia.

A DEVASTATED mum has spoken of the horrifying moment she discovered her two-year-old daughter hanging from the cord of her bedroom blind.

Little Sophie Allen suffered catastrophic brain damage after a game of hide and seek with her brother went devastatingly wrong.

The tragic accident happened in her Sunderland home a week ago today. She was taken to hospital and put in an induced coma but died in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Her grieving mum Danielle Hudson, 28, wants to warn other parents of the dangers of something that most people have in their homes.

She said: “Blinds are something that practically every household has and in children’s bedrooms.

“Just tie them out of the way, keep them out of reach of children, cut them or take them down altogether – just make sure children have no access to them.”

Sophie and her four-year-old brother Jayden were playing in their bedroom at the family home in Red House last Monday.

Housewife Danielle added: “My son came in and said ‘Sophie’s stuck’ and pointed at the cupboard. I didn’t understand what he meant and just thought she was hiding.

“I walked over to the window and saw a shadow behind the curtain. I pulled it open and she was hanging with the cord around her neck.

“I lifted her up and she made a little gasp. I carried her downstairs and her dad Peter was trying to do CPR, while I called for an ambulance.”

Sophie was taken to Sunderland Royal Hospital, where staff worked for more than an hour to resuscitate her.

She was then transferred to Newcastle’s Royal Victoria Infirmary (RVI), where she was placed in an induced coma.

Heartbroken Danielle said: “They brought her out of the coma after 48 hours and she started to breathe on her own, but there was no response to touch or sound.

“The next day she had an MRI scan which showed brain damage from the lack of oxygen, but I knew the damage had already been done. They said that even if she pulled through, she would be severely brain-damaged.

“On Friday she had an EEG and it showed no brain activity at all. They said that once they took her off the ventilator, she would struggle to breathe eventually, and she died on Saturday morning at about 3.20am.

“She was actually declared dead before she was taken to hospital. When they resuscitated her and put her into the coma, I had a little bit of hope then,”

Sophie’s siblings have been staying with relatives since the accident and only returned home yesterday.

Danielle described her daughter, who would have been three in December, as a happy but mischievous little girl.

“Sophie was always dirty, you couldn’t keep her clean. She was loving and happy, always smiling.”

Danielle added: I want to thank the paramedic team and staff in the hospital. If it wasn’t for them, we would never have got the chance to say goodbye.

“The paramedics even came through to Newcastle to see her at the hospital on Thursday. We really appreciate the time spent resuscitating her. The staff at the RVI were amazing too.

“If it wasn’t for the medical staff, we wouldn’t have had those few extra days with her.”

l Comment – Page 18

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page