DCSIMG

Pensioner fighting for her life after gas explosion in Sunderland

No3 Hadleigh Road (off Hylton Road), Sunderland - scene of a gas explosion on the evening of 28.04.14...

No3 Hadleigh Road (off Hylton Road), Sunderland - scene of a gas explosion on the evening of 28.04.14...

AN 80-year-old woman is in a critical condition after being set alight during a gas explosion at her Wearside home.

Elizabeth Appleby suffered severe burns to her back and burns to her face during the explosion at her Hadleigh Road home in the city.

The pensioner’s husband, John Appleby, 82, suffered burns to his hands as he tried to put out the flames from his wife’s burning clothing.

Both pensioners were taken to the RVI at Newcastle where Mrs Appleby is being cared for in intensive care and Mr Appleby in the burns unit.

The couple’s horrified family said at the moment they have no idea what happened at the rented property.

Daughter, Gillian Fox, 55, who lives opposite the couple, said: “It all happened so quickly. My son said ‘what’s the matter with nana’s window?’ and at that their nextdoor neighbour was running over saying there had been an explosion.”

She said her dad was upstairs when he heard the explosion and came down to find his wife in the front room on fire and managed to put out the flames.

Mrs Fox said: “When I ran into the house my mam was standing there, I think she was in shock and didn’t know what had happened.”

The couple, who have four children, four grandchildren and one great-grandchild, were still in good health and sprightly for their age, so their family can’t understand what has happened.

Younger daughter, Jacqueline Appleby, 52, said: “I had been in the house on the morning and there had been no smell of gas or anything. We just don’t know what has happened. We are all in shock.”

Mark Barton, watch manager at Farrington fire station, said they were called to the house at 8.40pm last night following reports of the explosion.

He said: “It looks like it has been a build up of gas in the downstairs of the property, but how this has happened is still under investigation.”

Three fire appliances attended the scene where the explosion had blown out the living room window and caused damage to the kitchen.

A spokesman for Northumbria Police said the Health and Safety Executive is carrying out an investigation into the incident.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page