A TIPPLE with a tale which links Seaham to Al Capone has been given the Royal seal of approval.
Spey Whisky was stored in the basement of Seaham Hall before being rolled out through tunnels to waiting boats on the shore, then transported to America during the times of prohibition.
Now it is sold behind the bar of the luxury hotel.
A special edition of the single malt whisky, Spey Royal Choice, has been launched at the Tower of London, under licence from Historic Royal Palaces.
It is distilled in Scotland, but has a Royal link that dates back almost 200 years, when Lord Byron gifted King George III a barrel of Spey whisky to celebrate his marriage to Annabella Milbanke in 1815 at Seaham Hall.
Historic records show this barrel was dispatched to the King’s family home at Kew Palace by the company.
Spey producers Harvie’s, was set up by brothers John and Robert Harvey in Glasgow in 1770.
In the 1920s, the brothers’ descendant, Grangetown-born Alec Harvey, began using the cellar of the then redundant Seaham Hall to store the liquor.