A mum and her two daughters fled their home after a fire broke out in the bathroom.
Firefighters were called to Queen Alexandra Road in Sunderland at 11.30pm on Tuesday after a tealight candle sparked the blaze.
A mother and her two adult children, who were in the house at the time, fled to safety as fire crews from the city centre station tackled the fire.
The bathroom was badly damaged in the incident and the remainder of the first floor was smoke-logged.
Fire crews then fitted new smoke alarms in the property.