DCSIMG

Man with asthma died after taking cocktail of drugs

editorial image

editorial image

A MAN died after the cocktail of drugs he had taken and his asthma caused him breathing difficulties.

Thomas Alexander Simpson was found dead by his girlfriend as she got up during the night.

An inquest into the 27-year-old’s death in Crook heard officers were called to the home at around 8.20am on December 5 by the North East Ambulance Service, who had tried to revive Mr Simpson.

Pc Martin Smith told deputy coroner Oliver Longstaff there had been a number of people in the house when they arrived and told him Mr Simpson had taken “blues”, which are either Valium or diazepam, drugs both prescribed to treat anxiety.

Mr Longstaff detailed the results of a toxicology report, which showed in addition to alcohol, Mr Simpson had levels of diazepam, methadone or heroin, antidepressant Duloxetine and noscapine, which can be found in opiates, in his system.

Pathologist Paul Barratt said the heroin or methadone, along with the diazepam, could cause depression of breathing which, in combination with his asthma, were a contributory factor in his death.

Mr Longstaff recorded a verdict that the death of Mr Simpson, of Tees Street in Seaham, was drug related.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page