LATEST NEWS: Ambulance crash victim named
POLICE have named the man killed when his car crashed into an ambulance.
Jonathan Burke, 21, of The Parks, Chester-le Street, died after his Renault Clio collided with an ambulance attending an accident in Washington.
The stationary ambulance was at the junction of the A1231 and A195 in Barmston attending an earlier accident where a Vauxhall Astra hit a lamppost.
Two fire engines from Washington were called to the second accident at 7.30am on Sunday and crews used cutting equipment to rescue the young man from the car.
He was placed on a spinal board and taken to Sunderland Royal Hospital, where he later died.
Four other men, believed to be the occupants of the Vauxhall Astra, were also taken to hospital with minor injuries.
The A1231 road, between the A182 and the A195, was closed for a couple of hours while police carried out their investigations.
Inquiries are ongoing and anyone who witnessed the collision is asked to contact the Northumbria Police Road Safety Unit on 101 ext 69191.
- Boss Di Canio wants six new men for Sunderland
- Bus crashes into Sunderland JobCentre
- Pool pervert used shoe mirror to spy on woman changing in Sunderland Aquatic Centre
- Survival assured, Sunderland boss can plan future
- ‘You can’t live a lie and spend your life feeling sad’ – transgender modelling competition finalist tells all
- DOBSON MARKS START OF HEALTH C
- Di Canio: Sunderland players will get a shorter summer break if they don’t perform well at Tottenham
- Last post is 6.30pm (but get here by 5.30pm)
- TV chef Martin Blunos takes over the kitchen at Seaham Hall
- Sunderland museums and arts centres lose out as donations head to London
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Sunderland
Sunday 19 May 2013
Temperature: 9 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 9 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North