Karate kid Lola’s a double golden girl
KARATE kid Lola Cassidy was a big hit at her first national championships.
The eight-year-old, from the Dokan Karate Club in Boldon, won two gold and two bronze medals at the English National Kyu Grade Championship in Sheffield.
Lola, of Front Street, East Boldon, won gold in the individual kumati (freestyle fighting) and kata (formal exercise) disciplines.
She also picked up bronze medals in the team events.
Dokan Karate Club chief instructor Kevan Mitchinson said: “The entire team did well. We took 15 students to Sheffield and came back with six gold, five silver and 10 bronze medals.
“Lola did particularly well. Normally a student will excel at one or other of the disciplines. To win at both is exceptional.”
Lola, a pupil at East Boldon Junior School, won her titles in the under-nine age group.
A green belt, she started karate 17 months ago and trains between six and nine hours a week.
She said: “I’ve won things before but these were my first national golds.”
Mr Mitchinson said: “There were more than 800 youngsters between the ages of seven and 14 entered in the various categories.
“Twenty-one medals is an impressive haul.”
The club donated £650 raised from a charity competition to St Benedict’s Hospice.
In total, £1,400 was raised from the event at Castle View Centre, Sunderland, last month.
As well as the donation to St Benedict’s, £250 also went to Macmillan Nurses, with the remainder to other local charities.
For details about the club and training times, call Mr Mitchinson on 0793 913 0411 or go to www.dokan.co.uk
- Boss Di Canio wants six new men for Sunderland
- Bus crashes into Sunderland JobCentre
- Pool pervert used shoe mirror to spy on woman changing in Sunderland Aquatic Centre
- Survival assured, Sunderland boss can plan future
- ‘You can’t live a lie and spend your life feeling sad’ – transgender modelling competition finalist tells all
- DOBSON MARKS START OF HEALTH C
- Di Canio: Sunderland players will get a shorter summer break if they don’t perform well at Tottenham
- Last post is 6.30pm (but get here by 5.30pm)
- TV chef Martin Blunos takes over the kitchen at Seaham Hall
- Sunderland museums and arts centres lose out as donations head to London
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Sunderland
Sunday 19 May 2013
Temperature: 9 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 9 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: North