International Women’s Day marked in Sunderland
A COMMUNITY gathered together as part of International Women’s Day festivities in Sunderland.
Scores of families went along to Thorney Close Action and Enterprise Centre on Saturday, with a number of fun activities taking place.
MP for Houghton and Sunderland South Bridget Phillipson made a visit to the event, which was also attended by Sandhill ward councillors Dave Allan and Mary Turton.
Event organiser Melanie Williams, who also works with Wearside Women in Need, said: “We’ve had about 130 people through the doors in the first few hours so we’re expecting more during the day.”
Those who turned up got involved in Zumba sessions, arts and crafts fun and had pamper treatments, courtesy of Shapers Beauty Salon owner Stephanie Laws.
- Boss Di Canio wants six new men for Sunderland
- Bus crashes into Sunderland JobCentre
- Pool pervert used shoe mirror to spy on woman changing in Sunderland Aquatic Centre
- Survival assured, Sunderland boss can plan future
- ‘You can’t live a lie and spend your life feeling sad’ – transgender modelling competition finalist tells all
- DOBSON MARKS START OF HEALTH C
- Di Canio: Sunderland players will get a shorter summer break if they don’t perform well at Tottenham
- Last post is 6.30pm (but get here by 5.30pm)
- TV chef Martin Blunos takes over the kitchen at Seaham Hall
- Sunderland museums and arts centres lose out as donations head to London
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Sunderland
Sunday 19 May 2013
Temperature: 9 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 9 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North