Freeze teams out as cold weather set to worsen
POLICE are urging motorists to take care after snow fell across Sunderland and Durham.
Only one main road was closed at the last update – the B6317 Whickham Highway at Lobley Hill Bank, Gateshead.
Sunderland City Council said gritter teams have been dispatched across the area, with major commuter routes a priority.
A spokesman said footpath treatments are underway, staff clearing snow in shopping areas and near nursing and residential homes.
There have been predictions that temperatures could drop as far as -7°C overnight.
Northumbria Police says motorists should be alert to the dangers of snow and ice, particularly on untreated minor roads and in reduced visibility.
Chief Inspector Sarah Pitt said: “Officers are out and about across the force area monitoring the situation, and we are working with partners to minimise disruption and keep our communities safe.”
Road users are advised to moderate their speed, maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front, keep windscreens and mirrors clear and be alert for pedestrians walking on roads when footpaths are too snowy or icy to use.
An ice scraper and de-icer should be carried for day to day use, and other useful items to keep in your car in adverse weather conditions include a torch, warm clothes or a blanket, boots, a first aid kit, a shovel, a battery, jump leads and a tow rope.
•Send your snow pictures to email@example.com
- Boss Di Canio wants six new men for Sunderland
- Bus crashes into Sunderland JobCentre
- Pool pervert used shoe mirror to spy on woman changing in Sunderland Aquatic Centre
- Survival assured, Sunderland boss can plan future
- ‘You can’t live a lie and spend your life feeling sad’ – transgender modelling competition finalist tells all
- DOBSON MARKS START OF HEALTH C
- Di Canio: Sunderland players will get a shorter summer break if they don’t perform well at Tottenham
- Last post is 6.30pm (but get here by 5.30pm)
- TV chef Martin Blunos takes over the kitchen at Seaham Hall
- Sunderland museums and arts centres lose out as donations head to London
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Sunderland
Sunday 19 May 2013
Temperature: 9 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 9 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North