FIRE crews were called to an empty home in Hendon after an outhouse burst into flames.
One appliance from Sunderland Central Fire Station attended the blaze, in Canon Cockin Street, just before 5am this morning.
Flames from the rubbish fire, which is suspected to have been started deliberately, spread to the roof of the building which is joined onto the house.
It took firefighters about half an hour to tackle the flames using one hose reel.
No one was injured.
It is not known yet whether there will be an investigation.