FIRE bosses say planned industrial action by officers could be “more of a challenge” than last month’s strike.
Members of the Fire Brigades’ Union will stage a five-hour walkout on Saturday, October 19, as part of a dispute with the Government over pensions.
It follows a four-hour strike which took place on Wednesday, September 25.
There are now fears the latest action could have a more significant effect, with chiefs saying crews are more likely to be active on a weekend shift.
Plans are now in place to offer a “limited response”.
Tom Capeling, Chief Fire Officer at Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service, said: “As with all fire and rescue services, military support and the green goddesses are no longer an option to us in carrying out our duty to protect the public.
“Trained fire service officers and staff we have recruited and trained in recent weeks will drive and staff a number of our appliances.”
Stuart Errington, Deputy Chief Fire Officer of County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service, said: “This second strike date could potentially be more of a challenge for all fire services across the country as higher volumes of calls are usually received on Saturday evenings as compared to Wednesday afternoons, when the first strike took place.”