EMERGENCY crews were called after a chemical leak at a seaside hotel.
The alarm was raised at the Marriott Hotel in Seaburn, yesterday at about 11am.
The building was evacuated after a filter burst in the plant room.
Water from the hotel pool, containing chlorine, got into the leisure club’s water system.
Six fire crews from Fulwell, Sunderland Central, Farringdon and Newcastle Central stations went to the Queen’s Parade site, as well as ambulances, although no one was hurt.
Raoul Lemmerling, general manager of the hotel, said: “A filter burst in the plant room of the hotel leisure club.
“Pool water went into the water of the leisure club and it activated an alarm which went off.
“If we get an alarm like that, we call the emergency services and they have now filtered the water out of the plant room.
“All guests and associates were evacuated and there was no risk to public safety.”
Mr Lemmerling added: “We have a very good health and safety here, and the safety of our guests is always a priority.
“Everything is back to normal now.”